BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Full Forgiveness

“Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.” (Ephesians 4:32)


Her name was 66730, or at least that was the name she went by. Her father had died in a German Concentration camp as did her sister. Her freedom, her dignity, her humanity had been stripped away by those who imprisoned her and yet she survived. They had robbed her of everything she ever possessed, but they couldn’t rob her of the one who possessed her, Jesus. She saw every day in Ravensbruck as a chance to minister to someone more needy then herself, and then one day she was released. As suddenly as she had become a prisoner, she was freed and her solitary aim was to minister to others.


When the war was over she began traveling and speaking while sharing her Savior and the vision that He had given her. And then one day, something happened, something that shook her to the very center of her being. By the way, you don’t know her as 66730. You know her as Corrie ten Boom. Listen to a portion of her story:


"It was at a church service in Munich that I saw him, the former S.S. man who had stood guard at the shower room door in the processing center at Ravensbruck. He was the first of our actual jailers that I had seen since that time. And suddenly it was all there, the roomful of mocking men, the heaps of clothing, Betsy’s pain blanched face.


He came up to me as the church was emptying, beaming and bowing. "How grateful I am for your message Fraulein," he said. "To think, as you say, He has washed my sins away!" His hand was thrust out to shake mine. And I, who had preached so often to the people in Bloemendall the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side.


Even as the angry vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man: was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him. I tried to smile. I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so again I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me your forgiveness.


As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me.


And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that this worlds healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself."


Forgiveness is to be once and for all. In Isaiah 43:25 God says, “I will not remember your sins.” Sometimes we feel like saying, “I can forgive, but I can’t forget.”


Forgiving doesn’t mean instant amnesia. The more we try to forget, the more we remember. Just decide not to remember. You can’t erase what happened in the past, but you can choose not to keep it current and replay the tapes daily. If it’s forgiven, it’s final.


Until Next Week,


Derek

0 comments: