BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Leader's Influence

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11-13)


As a church leader, I have asked myself many times, as I am sure you have if you are a church leader: “How can you move people to do what needs to be done?” The question of “how leaders lead” is the subject of much discussion in leadership conferences and seminars, with all kinds of leadership guru’s offering the simple steps to maximum effectiveness. In his book Spiritual leadership Henry Blackaby is no different, except in the simple and concise way he answers the question.


The fact remains: if we are to lead effectively in any area of ministry we must be able to influence others. What we do, or fail to do as spiritual leaders, will ultimately mark our ministry effectiveness. In short, here is what Blackaby says leaders do to influence others:


Leaders Pray

The single most important thing leaders do is pray! Why? Prayer must be at the apex of our mind, because nothing of eternal significance happens apart from God. Jesus said, “Apart from Me you can do nothing” (John 15:5). Leaders cannot neglect this spiritual discipline and still expect a work of God to be done. Why should leaders pray? Henry says:


  • Prayer is an essential leadership activity. (John 15:5)
  • Prayer brings the Spirit’s filling. (Eph. 5:18)
  • Prayer brings God’s wisdom. (Romans 8:26-27; I Cor. 2:9)
  • Prayer accesses God’s power. (Matt. 7:7)
  • Prayer relieves stress. (I Peter 5:7)
  • Prayer reveals God’s agenda. (Mark 1:30-39)

One thing God has made me keenly aware of as a pastor/teacher is that I must come to the end of myself in order for God to move. I cannot move people on to God’s agenda in my own strength. I have tried many times and failed. I am sure you have as well. We can only move people forward in their pursuit of God’s will by first seeking His plan through utter dependence upon Him. Where are you in terms of your prayer life?


Leaders Work Hard

You and I will dramatically influence our churches by our work ethic. I agree wholeheartedly with Blackaby when it comes to our labor in the ministry. He says, “Leaders should set the pace for others.” I am thankful that my parents taught their children the value of hard work. One of the concerns I have of younger generations is their work ethic when it comes to ministry. Church members will not be motivated, encouraged, or influenced by “lazy leaders” who are more interested in time off than they are ministry involvement.


Blackaby rightly observes, “Life offers few shortcuts to greatness.” You and I will influence others by our example. Let’s give our lives “wholeheartedly, as unto the Lord” (Col. 3:23). The bottom line is this: “Leadership is hard work.”


Leaders Communicate

We must be clear in our communication. We must be students of communication, always looking for ways to get the message out to our people. Blackaby says leaders ought to “immerse themselves in the Scriptures and the writings of great thinkers.” I am thankful that “who God calls, He equips.” That is the overwhelming message of Scripture. Therefore, “The key to effective communication is the presence of the Holy Spirit working in the leader’s life.” With all the advancements in technology today, there is no excuse for a failure to communicate what is happening in the life of the Church.


Let me also say that there is a difference between communication and control. Sometimes when lay people say church leaders do not communicate, it is because leaders do not communicate, they dictate. That cannot be if we are to successfully lead as shepherds. And when people say leaders do not communicate, it is because lay people want control, not communication. This is why shepherds, church leaders, and ministry volunteers must constantly pray and communicate with one another – so that we clearly understand what God wants and where He wants to take us. As the television commercial so eloquently puts it: “Anything else would be uncivilized!”


Leaders Serve

The greatest influence we can have on our people is through “servant leadership.” You need look no further than Christ as the preeminent model of a servant:

“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
(Phil. 2:5-11, NKJV)


Leaders Maintain Positive Attitudes

“A pessimistic leader is a contradiction in terms”, says Blackaby. He goes on to state that leaders who do not think success is possible and see the glory days as past and not future should resign immediately. Leaders who serve under the power of the Holy Spirit realize that “God is able…” (Eph. 3:20) because “with God all things are possible” (Luke 1:37).


I love to be surrounded by positive thinking people. Years ago I served with a staff member who saw all things as “doom and gloom.” He sucked the life right out of me. I found myself not wanting to be around him because of his outlook on life. I think that’s why I love to be around our south campus First Impressions Team leader Kenny Burrell. He always has a great outlook on life. He is always building others up and he looks for the best in those around him. Another reason I like Kenny: he was accused at a yard sale one time of being me! He sure is handsome! J


As leaders we need to remember that influence is a powerful thing. Spiderman’s uncle once told him, “With great power comes great responsibility.” May we use our influence for the glory of God!


Until Next Week,


Dr. Derek

0 comments: