BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

September Newsletter

I love September because I love high school and college football. I drove to Pell City last Friday night to watch our JHS Golden Eagles take the field for their first game, then cried all the way home because the rain and lightning forced them to cancel the game. I pity Weaver this Friday night (August 28)! The JSU Gamecocks begin a season that, while playoff ineligible, promises to be a great year. I am crazy about September and football.

I also love September because it means we will see new faces in worship as college students descend upon both our church campuses. We are blessed to have a great relationship with Jacksonville State University, and with our own Gary Brittain at the Baptist Campus Ministries. Why not pick a student and open your home to provide a good home cooked meal while they are here with us. I am sure they will take cash if you cannot open your home. Pray for Zack and our college leadership team as they reach out to students this fall.

In the month of September I will be preaching a new message series: “CRUNCH TIME: Making Good Decisions in Bad Situations”, based on the temptations of Christ in Matthew 4. We will examine the signs of temptation when Satan opens fire, and how you and I as the Saints can fight back! I hope you will invite someone to come with you for this series.

I also love September because it’s a time when you can get connected. On September 12 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM at EaglePoint we have our next “Group Link.” I hope you will come and find connections that count! Jesus said to His disciples, “Follow me.” One of the ways we fulfill that command is through connections with other believers. Now is the time for you to get connected to your spiritual family.

Finally, I love September because our staff has the opportunity to get away for a couple days (Sept. 21-23) to hang with each other, to evaluate our ministries, to plan for the upcoming year, and to pray over our church family like we never have before. I would ask you to pray that God mold us as a leadership team and as a church family into His image. These are exciting days in September – for football, for family, for faith!

Loving September and You,

Dr. Derek

0 comments: