BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passion Week

“Now before the feast of the Passover, Jesus knowing that His hour had come that He should depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.” (John 13:1)


Each year since Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of The Christ” hit the theatres I have, during Passion Week, watched anew the visible reminders of the depth of our Heavenly Father’s love. Each year I sit in awe. Each year I cry. Each year the images are burned in my mind. The Gospels came to life in the movie, and we too have a chance to walk the streets and witness Jesus’ beating. We are able to follow Christ to the cross. Although the final tomb scene in the movie was short (13 seconds), I felt a great deal of relief as Jesus walked out in triumphant victory. Each year in reading through Passion Week in the Gospels (Matt. 21:1-ff; Mark 11:1-ff; Luke 19:28-ff; John 12:12-ff), I am reminded of these precious truths:


Christ’s Sacrifice Was Sufficient - Throughout the Old Testament, God required blood atonement on behalf of the people. When Christ took the cross and shed His blood, He made the final sacrifice for sin. Seeing a holy Jesus take the cross in my place reminded me in graphic detail that He willingly did for me what I could not do for myself.


Satan was Forever Defeated - In The Passion of the Christ movie, Satan drifted through the crowds and stood over Jesus in the garden as He prayed. Throughout the Old Testament Satan sought to prevent Christ’s birth. Once Jesus was born, Satan tried in all of his power to keep Jesus from the cross. But Calvary proves that Satan lost forever. Victory is in Jesus!


This Is My Story and My Song – I love the old hymn by Fanny Crosby “Blessed Assurance, Jesus Is Mine” because it shouts of triumphant victory:


Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!

O what a foretaste of glory divine!

Heir of salvation, purchase of God,

Born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.


This is my story, this is my song,

Praising my Savior all the day long;

This is my story, this is my song,

Praising my Savior all the day long.


Perfect submission, perfect delight,

Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;

Angels descending bring from above

Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.


Perfect submission, all is at rest;

I in my Savior am happy and blest,

Watching and waiting, looking above,

Filled with his goodness, lost in his love.


Can’t Wait For Next Sunday!


Dr. Derek

0 comments: