BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Standing Tall

“For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God.” (2 Timothy 1:7-8)


Have you ever been in a conversation with an unbeliever or in a circle of unbelievers and the subject of Christianity came up, providing you the option: Stand for your faith or cower (shrink from fear) of ridicule or rejection. Often we are provided ample opportunity to display –not a spirit of fear – but one of power, love, and self discipline. Paul instructed Timothy to “not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord.” In fact, he charged him to “share in the suffering for the gospel.”


At the beginning of the third century Vibia Perpetua, age 22, was given an opportunity to live out I Timothy 1:7-8. Vibia, her brother, and a friend had professed faith in Christ at a time when Roman citizens were prohibited from turning to Christianity. When it was discovered that Vibia, her brother and friend, had converted to Christianity, government officials had them arrested. Vibia’s diary records a conversation with her unbelieving father:


While we were still under arrest, my father, out of love for me, was trying to persuade me and shake my resolution. “Father,” I said, “do you see this vase here, or water pot or whatever?” “Yes I do,” said he. And I told him, “Could it be called by any other name than what it is?” And he said, “No.” “Well, so too I cannot be called anything other than what I am, a Christian.”


On March 7, 2003, the group was brought into the amphitheater to be killed. A heifer mauled them, then a leopard struck, and finally gladiators entered the amphitheater and finished the slaughter. In her final moments Vibia declared, “You must all stand fast in the faith and love one another, and do not be weakened by what we have gone through.” Vibia recounted a vision she received while in prison awaiting death:


I saw a ladder of tremendous height . . . reaching all the way to the heavens, but it was so narrow that only one person could climb up it at a time . . . . Then I saw an immense garden, and in it a gray-haired man sat in shepherd’s garb . . . . And standing around him were thousands of people clad in white garments. He raised his head, looked at me, and said, “I am glad you have come, my child.”


Be bold today! Let no one move you. Do all out of love for Christ and His Church. Do not be intimidated by those who assault the Christian faith. Like Stephen and Vibia, remember who stands to receive you in eternal glory. So, armor up today and stand firm!


Until Next Week,


Dr. Derek

0 comments: