BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Praying Down Heaven

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)


Ogdensburg, NY is about 2 hours northwest of Syracuse, and is affectionately referred to as “The North Country”. Ogdensburg is a city of about 12,000 residents with one “evangelical” church: Grace Baptist Church. Grace is one of 423 Southern Baptist churches in a state with incredible lostness (over 95%). To keep things in perspective, the state of New York has more lost people than there are people in the entire state of Alabama. The North Country is made of cities and towns like Ogdensburg.


My first visit to Ogdensburg left an indelible impression upon my heart. One does not have to travel to some foreign soil half-way around the world to find an area of spiritual need. I could not help but sense that our “adversary” has a demonic stronghold on parts of the North Country, and especially Ogdensburg.


Yet, in the midst of such darkness there is hope. Pastor Don Thoms and the people of Grace Baptist Church are passionately praying for God to pour out His Spirit upon their city and once again arouse a spiritual movement not unlike the days of the first and second “Great Spiritual Awakenings” (circa 1730 – 1840).


Now, I do not place myself in the same category as George Whitfield (1714-1770), Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), or Charles Finney (1792-1875), but I do pray a supernatural anointing of the Holy Spirit upon my life in these revival services with Grace Baptist Church (May 16-19). And I pray for such an overwhelming move of God that brings about a quickening over people, resulting in confession of sin, weeping for lostness in Ogdensburg, and a desire to constantly linger before God. That is my prayer for Grace Church, for Ogdensburg, for New York, for FBC Jacksonville, and for this preacher. May God be glorified in these days of revival. May God sweep over us, and conform us into the likeness of His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. May God forever change the cities of Ogdensburg, NY and Jacksonville, AL.


Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20-21)


Dr. Derek

0 comments: